🔕 🔔

I'm going to make a chocolate torte, two layers covered with ganache. I want to put some kind of sour cherry filling between the layers.
I was thinking of just folding sour cherry preserves into whipped cream but I'm thinking that it may turn out to mushy and end up squishing out the sides. I'm not an intuitive baker and I don't have too many tricks up my sleeve. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks .

asked by boociebear about 7 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

To keep it easy, I'd just beat cream cheese and the sour cherry preserves together for the filling. The cream cheese adds richness, will keep it firm enough to still call filling, and will pair nicely with the preserves without making it too sweet. If you need it sweeter, add a bit of powdered sugar; that will also firm it up even more. Make sure to use the cream cheese that comes in a block, not the spreadable kind. Also, don't try to beat it until it's room temperature (your arms will thank you).

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Martha Stewart has a recipe for cherry-jam gelatin, using sour cherry jam. It is for a wedding cake so makes 7 cups. You'd only need to make about a cup for a single layer in a 9-10" cake. http://www.marthastewartweddings...

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

One of my favorite Jacques Pepin recipes is a Chocolate-Cherry Cake from his cookbook The Art of Cooking Vol. 2 (page 226). The filling is made with whipped cream, gelatin, cherries, kirsch, and cherry preserves. You'll have to do a little smoothing out once you build the cake, but the gelatin makes the filling pretty stable.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I agree with mrslarkin and hardlikearmour- stabilize with jam and gelatin. I would not blend the cherries with any dairy product- except to top with whipped cream. What kind of tart cherries are you using? Fresh, frozen or preserved? If you get the tart cherries in syrup, you can reduce the syrup down and add gelatin as a stabilizer. Fresh/frozen will go beautifully with raspberry jam and some kirsch.

I can't find the Hungarian sour cherries I fell in love with years ago, I think I'll be using Wos-Wit sour cherry preserves. They're a local business and I'll have no trouble finding them.
Thanks to everybody for the great suggestions.

7002ebae 186f 4382 8a5c 45cb4bd5877b  2 11 016

You could also thicken with cornstarch, as you would a pie filling.