QUICHE LORRAINE WITH SOFT CREAMY CUSTARD?

my quiche Lorraine has always been too firm. Could you tell me your custard filling recipe if it bakes up "just firm enough to not spread on the plate"? gruyere, eggs, heavy cream, and what size pie shell it is for, and temp and time? Thanks so much!

Pegeen December 16, 2013

Do you think it might just be in the oven too long? Do you blind bake your crust first? That way, the custard (filling) doesn't need to spend as much time in the oven.

Pegeen December 16, 2013

p.s. And sometimes I realize I'm using the wrong size dish - too wide and shallow could result in an over-cooked custard. Also, my oven consistently heats a little low so I always have to compensate for that.

Pegeen December 16, 2013

Le Bec Fin, in case you'd like to compare measurements, I've used this quiche happily, with various fillings, a few times. The 2nd recipe is one Dorie Greenspan just posted for tart crust. I'm sure there are some great recipes on this site, too.
http://www.doriegreenspan.com/2009/02/quiche-still-a-favorite.html
http://doriegreenspan.com/2013/11/tart-crust-process-roll-freeze-and-bake.html

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 17, 2013

i don't think i've overbaked it. my recipe is:
4 eggs
1 3/4 c heavy cream
1 1/2 c. gruyere
ham/bacon
etc
----------
m stewart is
3 eggs
2 c. hvy crm
1 c. gruyere
etc
------
emeril is
2 ggs
2 egg yolks
1 1/4 c half and half
1 c. gruyere
bacon
etc
------------
time life is:
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 c hvy cream
3/4 c. gruyere
6 sl bacon
etc.
---------------

Pegeen December 17, 2013

Interesting. Maybe some more experienced bakers could weigh in. I wonder if Emeril's approach of 2 eggs and 2 yolks would make it "creamier"?

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 17, 2013

i am thinking it must make it richer, but that more liquid makes it creamier (less egg yolk to firm the custard.) Where are you 52 bakers?!

Jen Here
Jen Here April 28, 2015

A basic custard is set by the eggs alone. The more eggs in a quiche will determine its creaminess. I use the MS method of 3 eggs and 2 cups of light cream instead of heavy cream, only because of the fat content. A heavier cream will add smoothness.

Nancy April 28, 2015

have you considered baking it in a water bath, to even out the temperatures and get creamy results? food.com, chowhound and others have suggestions, recipes.

AntoniaJames April 28, 2015

Years ago we had the most delightful French nanny, whose formula was 4 eggs + 2 cups half and half + a couple big handfuls of grated Gruyere, made it a standard 9" Pyrex pie plate (because that was convenient). She said her mother made quiche with whole milk plus the entire thick layer of cream that came on their litre bottles (Northeastern France), but we couldn't get milk like that, so she used half-and-half and declared it just as good for texture, if not quite as good for flavor. Her quiche was so lovely . . . just like her. ;o) P.S. I just did a quick check to find that Pepin uses 1 1/2 cups whole milk + 1/2 cup heavy cream + 4 eggs - very close. Also, as others have said, do not overcook. Take the quiche out while it still has a touch of a jiggle left in it.