Beef tenderloin sear ahead of time?

Can I sear the tenderloin ahead of time and let sit at room temp for 1-2 hours, then put it into the oven to roast? I don't want to be searing beef when my guests are there, would prefer to do it ahead of time, clean the pan, etc.
Thank you!!!1

• Posted by: Lori M.
  • December 19, 2013

Patti in Mississippi
Patti in Mississippi December 19, 2013

Searing ahead of time can be done. Don't let it sit for 1 to 2 hours in the danger zone. Refrigerate for most of that time and then you can take it out and cook it at that time.

Declan
Declan December 19, 2013

Refrigerate till 20 minted before roasting. Allow it come back towards room temperature before placing it in the oven.

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 19, 2013

You can definitely sear ahead but I would let it cool down before refrigerating and take out at least 30 minutes before roasting. Just my opinion. Enjoy!

Big G-man
Big G-man December 19, 2013

I really think that roasting it at 300 to the desired doneness first than searing it last gets the best results. It is safer to keep at 140 in the oven till searing time and it only takes a short amount of time to sear off at 500 degrees or on the stove top and flambé it with cognac to wow the guests.... if you sear it first I think; one the danger zone is an issue and two you will probably develop a thicker layer of well done meat at outer layer than you would want... IMHO... I always cook till desired doneness than sear.

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 19, 2013

I thought that was for prime rib via serious eats food lab? So it would be the same for a beef tenderloin?

Declan
Declan December 19, 2013

NEVER put a piece of meat in an oven without searing it first. If you don't sear the surface, all of the juice (and taste) runs out in the consequent liquid. To sear is to seal the outside surface and not to cook. The tenderloin does not heat. All searing does is create a seal, enclosing the joint. The actual joint remains cold. its really important to sear

Big G-man
Big G-man December 19, 2013

sorry, that is just not accurate. The whole searing thing is a fallacy

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 19, 2013

I prefer my beef seared, I do taste and enjoy the texture much better than not doing so.

Big G-man
Big G-man December 19, 2013

absolutely I do as well. I just believe that searing at the end is creates a better option. Especially for small diameter roasts such as a tenderloin. if you sear first then roast the likely hood of the meat that is overcooked can be as thick as a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the perimeter of the roast which is way to high a percentage of the roast. IMHO. I swear by searing but for the taste and texture issues you mention not for moisture retention. I just found for roasts I like to sear last. Now a steak or a scallop is a different story.

Sharvw1@gmail.com
[email protected] December 23, 2018

Cook's Illustrated recommends searing after for best flavor. Just read it...had never heard of it before.

Declan
Declan December 19, 2013

Gman ... Google the definition of sear!
To sear a tenderloin of beef is to seal the outside.
That's about a fingernail thickness.
Insinuates "high temp".
Which is why the original question is around not wanting to sear to sear (create smoke, etc.) while guests are present.

NEVER put a beef tenderloin in an oven without searing first (never leave the house without putting pants on first (Cooking 101)

Big G-man
Big G-man December 19, 2013

Happy Holidays
G man signing off

Big G-man
Big G-man December 19, 2013

Happy Holidays
G man signing off

Declan
Declan December 19, 2013

Lori M ...
Just be sure to go ahead with searing.
Necessary part of the process.
Unfortunate differences if opinion earlier.
Common sense prevails!
Good luck with your dinner

Sharvw1@gmail.com
[email protected] December 23, 2018

Cook's Illustrated recommends searing after for best flavor.

Kirk
Kirk August 14, 2017

For future viewers, @Big G-man is absolutely right, searing does not "seal in juices", it is just for flavour/texture from the Maillard reaction.

Specifically for beef tenderloin:
http://www.seriouseats...

General sources:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_searing_seals_in_juices.html
https://www.cooksillustrated...
http://www.seriouseats...