A question about a recipe: Thankful For Leftover Turkey Jambalaya

I have a question about the recipe "Thankful For Leftover Turkey Jambalaya" from aargersi. Could I substitute brown rice for the white, and simply adjust the cooking time? Or would there need to be adjustments to the amount of liquid, too?

• Posted by: Molly
  • December 27, 2013

ChefJune December 27, 2013

I always substitute brown rice for white. The cooking time for the rice is the main difference. You will need to either cook it separately and mix it later, or -- what I do -- add the rice earlier. The amount of liquid required is basically the same.

susanne
susanne December 27, 2013

i also use brown rice almost exclusively. much tastier and better texture. but i do add a bit more liquid as well as and cooking time.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 27, 2013

you will very likely be playing w/ your liquid amount anyway, as recipe can cook up differently with @ batch, so adding liquid is no deal-breaker. You might also consider adding in some cooked wheatberries towards the end- for some fun chewiness. (I'm putting wheatberries in alot of things these days!)