🔕 🔔

Can I freeze salsa verde like I would pesto?

asked by healthierkitchen over 7 years ago

Yes, but I might hold off adding any acids to it before freezing.

TheWimpyVegetarian

Good info! What would happen if you add the acids before freezing?

The acid would turn everything black, I think.

healthierkitchen

Thanks! I was thinking to just freeze the herb and oil mixture, but was wondering about capers, anchovies, etc.

Now that I can see that you are talking about the Italian version of salsa verde, as opposed to the Mexican variety, I would be a bit skeptical about freezing it all. It's easy to make and its quality depends on its freshness. So unless you've already prepared like a quart of it....

On second thought, I agree with Pierino, if it's the Italian version, I wouldn't freeze it. It'll lose its joie de vivre.

healthierkitchen

Thanks for the advice! I guess I was thinking along the lines of another way of preserving all the herbs I have growing now that I won't have in a few months. Since I haven't yet made it (no spare quarts to worry about!) maybe I'll try a small test batch and report back.

Morticia, I love it when you speak French. Gomez.