🔕 🔔

How do I store brown basmati rice and how long does it keep?

I'm thinking of switching to brown basmati rice but I'm a little confused on how to store it since I heard it goes rancid. I usually use white basmati rice and I just store it in a dry place - it lasts for a long time without going bad - more than a year. What about brown rice? How long does it last before going rancid and where should I store it.

Thanks!

asked by Reeshiez about 4 years ago

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Brown rice will go rancid faster than white because the bran is still intact, and the bran contains more oil. I would store the rice in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. If you have room in your freezer, you can store it in there to keep it longer. Otherwise, just buy less of it at a time and use within a couple months.

I don't buy a lot, and I store it the same way I used to store white rice. It doesn't usually get rancid. We use it quite a lot.