How do I store brown basmati rice and how long does it keep?

I'm thinking of switching to brown basmati rice but I'm a little confused on how to store it since I heard it goes rancid. I usually use white basmati rice and I just store it in a dry place - it lasts for a long time without going bad - more than a year. What about brown rice? How long does it last before going rancid and where should I store it.

Thanks!

petitbleu
petitbleu October 2, 2013

Brown rice will go rancid faster than white because the bran is still intact, and the bran contains more oil. I would store the rice in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. If you have room in your freezer, you can store it in there to keep it longer. Otherwise, just buy less of it at a time and use within a couple months.

ChefJune October 3, 2013

I don't buy a lot, and I store it the same way I used to store white rice. It doesn't usually get rancid. We use it quite a lot.