🔕 🔔

Sounds like a delicious desert.

I've never had a success with uncurdling flan or other milk-based desserts. As far as I know, you can't uncurdle milk.

Cf72275c fff5 4c3d 91ff b486112ca91a  stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

As a matter of fact, I was just reading yesterday about what to do with curdled creme anglaise which is very close to flan. The suggestion was to turn it into a bread pudding, using cake instead of bread--sort of like an English trifle. The cake will absorb the curds so no one will ever know the difference. I haven't tried it, but it seems to me worth an experiment.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

I had two other successful flan batches to take my mind off my failure, so chucked it is, but thank youall. the trifle sounds like a good use for the curdled flan, layered with cake etc., but not the bread pudding because you wouldn't weant the flan to get baked twice, and you would need a fresh custard baked in the bread pudding , to act as a binder for the bread pudding et al.

btw, after the fact, i found this terrific flan lesson. I recommend it to anyone considering making flan:
http://www.the350degreeoven...