Chicken Fricassee - cream substitute

Can I use organic sour cream as a substitute for heavy cream? I have a very large container of sour cream and the recipe for chicken fricassee needs 1/4 cup of heavy cream (which I don't have). Can I make this substitution?

PieceOfLayerCake April 19, 2017

I think that sounds delicious. I would just make sure the heat is off when you add it. The only thing I'd be concerned with is with it splitting, but if you don't heat it too much, it would enriched nicely with a little more depth and twang than heavy cream. I use sour cream to finish pan sauces all the time.

The sauce might need a bit of thinning out, which I would just do gradually with water.

HalfPint April 19, 2017

Great! Thank you for the tip.

irina
irina April 20, 2017

I think it's a great idea also. I would thin it out with chicken broth if you have some.
Cheers
irina

Windischgirl
Windischgirl April 22, 2017

To keep the sour cream from splitting, whisk a few teaspoons of all-purpose flour into the sour cream (I do about 1 1/2 tablespoon per cup). Then stir in some of the pan juices before returning the mixture into the fricassee, heating gently. Using sour cream this way is common in many Eastern European recipes.