The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

Milk to use in making mozza?

At my local grocers, I can get 2 types of whole milk: standard and homogenized. Both are pasteurized. I would think it might be better to use the non-homo version. Has anyone tried both types? Comparison notes?

asked by Sylvia9000 over 3 years ago
6372bda8 9f14 4caa aa5c 1621072e8c78  3eb83fb

Hi - I've tried both versions, successfully. However, the pasteurization process narrows the degree of temperature tolerance in the homogenized milk for the curd development. I don't know the science, however I've experienced more "fails" with the homogenized than with the standard whole milk when making mozza.

also; I should add... I've discovered that using commercially produced "organic" milk to make mozza is more volatile; it seems that the organic process may be over-pasturized, narrowing the degree of temperature tolerance even more...

7067f558 60f9 4573 b1dc 739127675a76  fb avatar

Thanks for your thoughts! On the curd... The kindly folks at Make Cheese suggested to me that different brands (even different batches) of milk have variations in the pasteurization process. That some may reach a higher temp or be held at temp for longer resulting in more problematic curding.

One of the best sources for cheese making knowledge is Ricki and her team at The New England Cheese Making Supply. This is a link to good milk sources.
http://www.cheesemaking...