Dishes for a cold.

Help, my wife has a terrible cold and has a busy day ahead of her tomorrow. Any ideas for a power dish I can whip up quickly. I have chicken, rice, pasta and some other basics with a grocery near by. I always like Pho soup, but there aren't any Asian markets near by. Shes currently napping, but would love to have it started when she wakes up.

Diana B
Diana B January 3, 2014

If you have chicken and rice, all you need is some broth or, preferably, stock (home made if possible), perhaps a few vegetables, and you have a nice hot, nourishing and steamy (good for the nose) soup.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 3, 2014

Lots of fluids. Stay away from dairy(cheese)because it clogs you up iirc. chicken soup w/ rive or veggies and olemon would be good.

Pegeen January 3, 2014

Definitely Jewish penicillin (chicken soup). Like LBF said, no dairy.
http://food52.com/recipes...

Kristen W.
Kristen W. January 3, 2014

Agree with Pegeen. Suffering from a bad cold myself and eating chicken soup (with kreplach and matzoh ball) as I write this at this very moment, in fact. Wasn't up to making it though, so I opted for take out from the local deli. Our place sells just the broth, which is a nice option if if you don't have time to make it yourself.

Pegeen January 3, 2014

This is more a respiratory balm, but she will thank you. Empty a few herbal teabags into a bowl of boiling water: chamomile or mint are good. She should put a towel over her head to capture the steam. You get a facial at the same time but don't put your face too close to the hot water. Have lots of tissues on hand.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich January 3, 2014

Pegeen - how long do you steam, so to say? Thanks!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks January 3, 2014

Chicken soup, esp Vietnamese chicken soup with ginger and shallots. Ginger tea, with fresh ginger root infused with boiling water, add honey and lemon. Turmeric tea is a good anti inflammatory if you can find the fresh root.

Dave on the grill
Dave on the grill January 3, 2014

Thanks guys, chicken soup it was, with a little siracha for good measure. She already made chai earlier in the day, but thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Sam1148 January 3, 2014

My favorite and it's quick and easy.
Coconut Milk Soup with Chicken:
1 Chicken Breast
1 can of Coconut Milk
1 can of Low Sodium Chicken stock
1 touch of ginger or ginger powder or galangala. (sp)
2 tsp of lime zest.
1 tsp of "Thai Kitchen" red curry paste (or more to taste).
Peanut oil.
Limes for Garnish and serving.
Fish sauce (or salt)
Green onions for optional garnish
Mint or basil for optional garnish.
Optional: Mushrooms and or Tofu cubes.
Grind or fine chop chicken breast, and sautee with the oil and the red curry paste, ginger, Lime zest, and mushrooms (if using) until cooked.
Add the coconut milk and cook down a few mins.
Add the chicken stock and simmer about 15 mins.
Add the tofu at this point if using.
Add Fish Sauce if you have it...if not adjust add SALT to taste.
To serve put a very generous amount of lime juice in the bowl with the soup and garnish with the mint/basil or green onions.

You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up.

Kate
Kate January 4, 2014

I also like pho when I'm sick, but Sam's recipe looks great, too! Heidi, from 101 Cookbooks, has a Miso Tahini soup along similar lines: http://www.101cookbooks...