I'm going to preserve some Meyer lemons and purchased two acrylic canisters with kids that have silicone seals.

Is this a safe material to use when combining acidic lemons and a lot of salt for an extended period of time?

asked by Pamela731 over 4 years ago

cratecooking
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I agree with Pegeen regarding the plastic. Every winter I preserve mine in quart-sized Mason jars.

Always a good idea to seal your kids with silicone so that you don't have to listen to them.

healthierkitchen

If it's lemons preserved in salt and lemon juice and then refrigerated after the intitial curing, does it have to be carefully sealed? I just use a regular lid on a canning jar.

Pierino, I know you meant Gorilla glue.

healthierkitchen - No. It does not have to be sealed with a "canning bath" process. Just a tight lid on a refrigerated jar.

Where did you find kids with silicone seals? Mine arrived without them.

Snort :-)

Pamela731

Oh my! And to think I came in second at the local spelling bee championship! Haha!

Pamela, hope you don't mind the joshing! Just some silly fun. I'm getting the feeling some of us do wish kids came with optional seals. :-)

Pamela731

Oh I think it's just hilarious! I had three kids in55 weeks and silicone seals would have been a lot cheaper than Huggies.:)