I'm going to preserve some Meyer lemons and purchased two acrylic canisters with kids that have silicone seals.

Is this a safe material to use when combining acidic lemons and a lot of salt for an extended period of time?

Voted the Best Reply!

Pegeen January 13, 2014

Personally, I wouldn't preserve anything in a plastic container. The acid might likely interact with the plastic and affect the food.

cratecooking
cratecooking January 13, 2014

I agree with Pegeen regarding the plastic. Every winter I preserve mine in quart-sized Mason jars.

pierino January 13, 2014

Always a good idea to seal your kids with silicone so that you don't have to listen to them.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen January 13, 2014

If it's lemons preserved in salt and lemon juice and then refrigerated after the intitial curing, does it have to be carefully sealed? I just use a regular lid on a canning jar.

Pegeen January 13, 2014

Pierino, I know you meant Gorilla glue.

Pegeen January 13, 2014

healthierkitchen - No. It does not have to be sealed with a "canning bath" process. Just a tight lid on a refrigerated jar.

creamtea January 14, 2014

Where did you find kids with silicone seals? Mine arrived without them.

Pegeen January 14, 2014

Snort :-)

Pamela731
Pamela731 January 15, 2014

Oh my! And to think I came in second at the local spelling bee championship! Haha!

Pegeen January 15, 2014

Pamela, hope you don't mind the joshing! Just some silly fun. I'm getting the feeling some of us do wish kids came with optional seals. :-)

Pamela731
Pamela731 January 15, 2014

Oh I think it's just hilarious! I had three kids in55 weeks and silicone seals would have been a lot cheaper than Huggies.:)