A question about a recipe: Faulknerian Family Spice Cake, with Caramel Icing

12160fb2 9571 4644 9348 540f0622ccd1  042710 0356

I have a question about the recipe "Faulknerian Family Spice Cake, with Caramel Icing" from ENunn. What type of butter (salted or unsalted) have people used for this cake. It doesn't specify which I generally assume to mean salted. Thanks!

asked by Jas3 almost 5 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I always use unsalted butter when baking. The salt content varies depending on which brand of butter you are using. This is the reason most bakers use unsalted. Best of luck to you, it sounds like a delicious recipe!

arcane54

I've made this EXCELLENT cake a bunch of times (the frosting alone is a gift). Like Trena, I always use unsalted butter when baking -- then I can control how salty my pastries are.

Unless otherwise specified, I think the default for baking is unsalted.