🔕 🔔

I love sprouts, but only really Steam or Boil them, what else can I do with them? Id like to keep their flavour dominant above anything I add to it, and keep them whole if possible (Im still after a side veg, just, with added flavour)

Also, what is your fave way to cook sprouts?

asked by Kizandtango almost 7 years ago

9920059c c14d 4755 965d d880979c2f61  monkeys

do you mean brussel sprouts?

693453b7 7e84 4b19 b610 d1ec77bbc42d  halloween

what kind of sprouts? brussels sprouts? Check here for lots of options!

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I love toasting them in a dry pan. They caramelize on their own and get a toasted flavor. Usually I deglaze the pan with white wine or stock to finish the brussel sprouts off. I've also toasted them and then topped them with a bit of jack or dry cheddar cheese.

For brussel sprouts, I cut them in half or quarters, toss with olive oil and salt then roast at high heat (450 degrees F) for 15-20 minutes until caramelized. You can finish them off with truffle oil if you have any, delish.

6eb27e5d f317 4cf7 8b7a 2782bb7d92c2  title01

I second monkey mom. And you can take a bowl of them along w a wedge of your favorite cheese and wine and have a great evening snack. Like right now just in time for the Madonna glee!

Peel off any loose exterior leaves. Using a very sharp knife cut each in half and then very thinly slice them. I said very thinly. If possible use the teeniest ones you can find (like the size of a thumb nail). Heat some butter up in a skillet almost until it's beurre noir (brown butter) and add the brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper and cook until done. Finish with a splash of tarragon vinegar, e voila!

Shredded in a processor or on a mandoline, and dressed with a vinaigrette (sp???) of your choosing, they are wonderful (and surprising !) raw as a salad. Make sure you clean them well, and pull off any wilted or nasty leaves. I read somewhere recently not to get them wet, that just pulling off the outer leaves is sufficient.

And I third the high-temp roasting with just oil, salt and pepper, That technique has absolutely converted everyone I know who said "I *hate* Brussel sprouts !".