How do you keep a store bought pie crust from getting soggy at bottom? I tried to make a quiche which baked for 1 hour but crust was still ra

It was a cheddar and spinach quiche

• Posted by: joanne
  • January 10, 2014

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 10, 2014

raw crust is one of my hatest things! For quiche, you need to pre-bake ("blind bake") the crust. You line it with foil pressed down into the edges, fill it with dry beans (they can be reused for this purpose only)and bake the crust for about 10 min. Remove beans and foil, bake another 10 minutes,(bottom should be light brown and not look raw) cool and fill. google or Chowhound 'blind baked pie crusts' for more exact baking times.some will call for forking and egg glazing the shell as well.

my quiche has always been too firm and not creamy enough for me, so i was googling around the other week and i finally settled on Martha Stewart's web recipe slightly tweaked. I used 3 eggs, 1/2 c. milk, and 1 1/2 cups hvy cream for the custard , and really liked the softnessof that.

boulangere January 10, 2014

Commercial pie crusts tend to be a bit thicker than ones we roll ourselves, which, I suspect is the reason for the undone texture you found. As LBF suggests, blind baking it for a bit before filling would help significantly. Before you blind bake any pie shell, be sure to dock it with a fork (basically, prick all over the bottom and sides) before lining it with foil or parchment (a sheet of parchment releases very cleanly) filled with beans or rice. Bake it at a fairly high temperature, 400-425 degrees for about 10 minutes. Remove it from the oven and lift out the parchment or foil, then proceed with the rest of your quiche.

P.S. Let the beans or rice cool, then store them in a ziplock bag until you need to use them again.

Sam1148 January 10, 2014

In addition to the above. Save some of the shreaded cheese that you'd mix in the egg mixture.

Layer that in the bottom of the pre-baked crust.
Also...Look for pie crust shields. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/mrs-anderson-s-10-inch-pie-crust-shield/1010824540?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_none_&gclid=CNil4O6D9bsCFSLxOgodUnsAQw

Those let you crank up the heat a bit to get the bottom crispy without burning the upper exposed crust--or fumbling about with foil etc.

There's also the issue of using a glass vs metal pie pan and directly on the rack or on a sheet pan. The only store bought crust I use for quiche is pillsbury as the ones in the pie tins tend to be sweet crust.