🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Potage Aux Poivrons Rouges (French Red Pepper Soup)

I have a question about the recipe "Potage Aux Poivrons Rouges (French Red Pepper Soup)" from F for Food. I am wanting to do a French themed dinner for my girlfriend for Valentines Day. Could I make the soup in advance warm it up the evening of? Or would it diminish the quality of the product.

asked by Jacob over 2 years ago

I don't know that specific recipe, but most soups are fine made ahead. I know my Poivrons Rouge Soupe is fine made ahead.

Making ahead should be fine. Do steps 1-5 ahead and refrigerate, up to 2 days. Do step 6 to reheat the evening you're going to serve it, adding the garnishes of creme fraiche and crab as you serve it. Sounds delicious.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

you know what it's fun to do for table decorations? sprinkle heart shaped Red Hots around the centerpiece w/ streamers. you can also find heart shaped small 4" cake pans, and cookie cutters, and ramekins... (I'm not suggesting overkill, just wanted you to know there are lots of options.)

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

I agree that this may be made ahead and reheated gently. Finish with the crab meat & crème fraiche.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Not only can you make it ahead and reheat (slowly), but you can also consider serving it chilled (not quite room temp - take out of fridge an hour before serving)...and make a spectacular service by not using daily soup bowls, but nice demitasse cups.
Most likely you don't have a matched set of Louis XIV gold rimmed demitasse cups - so go to an antique store and buy a couple mis-matched old looking tea cups. Serve the soup in those with a garnish of your choice. Be a bit dainty by using tea spoons instead of honkin' big soup spoons.
I would seriously consider a sabayon for dessert - easy to do, and you can do it "live" ala minute'. Very impressive.