what is pimenton de la vera

this an ingredient for a cauliflower

Maedl February 7, 2014

It is smoked paprika--a common ingredient used in Spanish dishes. if you can't find it in a grocery, try Penzey's or another good spice shop--or Amazon.

Summer of Eggplant
Summer of Eggplant February 7, 2014

Personally, the smoked paprika I bought at Penzey's did not have any smoky quality to it; I was truly disappointed. I know Williams-Sonoma carries a good smoky variety.

Maedl February 7, 2014

Perhaps the paprika was mixed up--and you got the plain variety. I usually buy the smoked paprika at a shop in Munich, but just visited Barcelona and brought some from there. Both taste good.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 7, 2014

Most supermarkets carry "Pride of SZEGED Paprika" both sweet or hot that may be a good substitute and great for other dishes. It's in a red tall tin.

pierino February 7, 2014

...and is distinctly lacking in flavor.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 7, 2014

if you have paprika add a pinch of cayenne. That should work.

Maedl February 7, 2014

Hungarian paprika is not smoked and tastes significantly different from the smoked kind. Sure, you can use it, but the taste will be lacking.

pierino February 7, 2014

"Paprika" covers a multitude of sins. How the term came to be applied to Spanish pimenton I don't know. Although I'm reasonably sure you can blame it on the English.
Strictly speaking, pimenton is a dried Spanish pepper powder. It is not necessarily smoked. In fact Pimenton de la Vera is a DOC product. It might be labled "dulce" (sweet), "agrodulce" (bittersweet), or "picante" (spicy). If the label say's "ahumado" that means it's been smoked. Hungarian paprika adds color to deviled eggs but it's not much good for anything else.

Maedl February 7, 2014

Another thing about paprika: unless you make a LOT of goulasch and paprikash, it s better to buy the smaller tins because paprika goes off flavor after a year or so. Those big tins can last for way too long.

Maedl February 7, 2014

Pierino, I believe that pimento de la Vera is all smoked--it is part of its DOC status. The peppers are slowly dried over a fire. Perhaps the intensity of the smokiness differs due to the time required by the drying process. And both paprika and pimenton come from Capiscum. I think even the species is the same--the difference is in the variety. Capiscum are from the New World. The Spanish brought them to Europe and they dispersed from there.