Condiments with milk chicken?

Next weekend I want to make this recipe with some organic milk from my farmer http://www.thekitchn.com...
Suggestions for some exciting condiments (potato, veggies,...) would be nice :)

asked by barcelona over 4 years ago

I think you mean accompaniments for the chicken rather a than condiments, so my suggestions are based on that. You could serve just about anything with the chicken. I would look in the market to see what looks perky and make my choice based on that.

You might try roasting fingerling potatoes with olive oil, garlic, and rosemary until they get a golden crisp crunch. For a vegetable, it is probably too early to do asparagus or spinach (spinach sauteed with olive oil, garlic, pine nuts and raisins is lush), so maybe roast a few yellow and red beets and dress with butter and sea salt. Rutabaga might be interesting, too--mashed with butter and cream.

nutcakes

Condiments are things like mustard and catsup and hot sauce. I think you mean side dishes or accompaniments. I think a tray of roasted vegetables of any combination would be great. Maybe regular potato, sweet potato, carrot, onion wedges. And some sautéed greens. Thanks for mentioning such an interesting recipe. I've had roast pork in milk, which is fantastic, but never heard of this one. Must try.

A favorite of mine on the site: https://food52.com/recipes...

So much flavor & textures!

Chicken cooks off sauce, so maybe some simple smashed baby Yukon gold and let it soak in the juices/sauce.

Selma | Selma's Table

I have been making this recipe for many years - ever since I saw Jamie demonstrating it on the telly…it is a very soothing, comforting dish with a lot of thin sauce as well as curds from the milk and lemon. It is best with creamy mashed potatoes and braised savoy cabbage - it is that sort of dish. Any left overs make an amazing risotto if you use the thin sauce to flavour the rice. Enjoy!

In Jamie's recipe (the Kichn site directs you to it), he recommends wilted spinach and mashed taters as mentioned above. I think anything steamed and green, and mashed taters or rice, are good companions. I've made it too and the sauce is so delicious, you don't want too much else going on. http://www.jamieoliver...

It's also interesting to read the comments - I forget if they're on the Kichn site or Jamie Oliver's site. Commenters discuss starting the chicken breast down and then flipping it for the last 30-40 minutes. And substituting other herbs for sage. Enjoy - it's delicious.

nancy essig

Been making this delicious dish for years. I serve it with crispy fried leeks and garlic,lemon mashed potatoes. So very droolicious.

LE BEC FIN

For years I have made a French recipe for pork cooked in milk from a Paula Wolfert book. Personally, i would not include cinnamon. The herbs for my pork are thyme and bay leaf and the pork sits on a small bed of sauteed shallot and carrot. What is most important in the pork version- is the pureeing of the sauce. The meat juices are acid so they coagulate the milk, which is an unappealing texture. So the milk sauce has its fat removed and then it is reduced further w/ the herbs etc, and then it is pureed to smooth in the blender.It should have the thickness and smoothness of heavy cream. At that point, it is poured over the sliced pork. Maybe chicken juices on their own- would not cause the milk to form curds? so they added the lemon zest...(my pork recipe has no lemon zest.)

I like to serve it with a multigrain pilaf (brown basmati rice, wheatberries, and/or lentils and a simple unadorned green vegetable- like steamed broccoli or green beans.

The lactic acid in the milk tenderizes the chicken. Yes, small curds form in the milk sauce but they're considered delicious and mush down nicely when you spoon the sauce over the chicken. You ignore and savor them. I second you on the simple steamed green veg - broccoli or green beans. But the rice or mashed potatoes are good for mopping up stray sauce.

LE BEC FIN

well peg, the silky pureed sauce is a marvel. I urge you to try it once. You have to do it just before service or you do it twice, because it does revert back to curds after awhile.

good tip to puree the sauce, LBF. Thanks!

babytiger

I'm going to make this tonight. Will be serving it with roasted potatoes and a salad. May make some broccolini or asparagus as well.
I have no issue with curds as I absolutely love them in pork braised in milk. Those curds are so flavorful and easily the best part of the dish. I can't wait to taste these curds.