I just steamed and then glazed some haricot vert with garlic butter, lemon zest and Maldon and it left me wanting. How do I change it up?

I love green beans but felt like the flavors just collapsed. Did I add too much butter or do I need to be more generous with what I used?

asked by GreeksLoveBacon over 4 years ago

emily

Have you tried sautéing instead of steaming?

lem monade

I love capers (possibly shallow-fried until they bloom up a bit) on just about any kind of lemony green.
Or how about some grated parmesan or pecorino and herbs (parsley or summer savoury, for example) or a little sauce made of tahini and lemon juice drizzled on top?

LE BEC FIN

when i am stirfrying haricots verts (TrJ frozen is a terrific product), at the end, i add a little bit of vinegar and/or tamari, then butter, lemon zest, toasted walnuts.

Yes, saute instead of steam, along with the garlic and s&p, but squeeze some lemon juice in before (or instead) of adding the zest. I think it needs a hit of acid (no pun intended) to liven it up, so it's not flat.

Denise Bushnell

Try roasting them in a little olive oil and sea salt in a 400 degree oven. Should only take about 15 minutes and they are delicious.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I really like this recipe (though I find I need to shorten the cooking time quite a bit b/c I make smaller batches than called for). The addition of scallions is simple but DELICIOUS:
http://www.bonappetit.com...

Keep the beans crisp.

In another pan warm a sprig of rosemary, and some lightly crushed garlic cloves in olive oil until you smell them.
Remove the herb/garlic. Turn up the heat and sautee some procuitto ham cut in matchstick sizes with some chopped sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil. Simmer a bit more until the ham is nice.
Add the beans on low heat and toss the oil around the beans to coat.
Add some bread crumbs, salt, pepper..adjust seasonings.
Finish with some shaved Parmesan cheese.