Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Help! Just baked my 1st GF sandwich bread http://t.co/0a04gMB9Be. Looks gr8t but smells like beer! Can GF dough overproof?

asked by @LynnWandaLynn almost 3 years ago
120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Anything with yeast in it can overproof or over-ferment. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing--taste the bread. If you like the flavor, there's no need to worry too much about it. Sometimes, yeast can give breads a beer-like smell.

The by-products of fermentation (proofing) are heat, alcohol, and carbon dioxide, hence the "beery" smell. If over-proofed, you're more likely to see the effects in your bread's structure, which will be poor, causing it to crumble or break apart when you slice it.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.