🔕 🔔

Help! Just baked my 1st GF sandwich bread http://t.co/0a04gMB9Be. Looks gr8t but smells like beer! Can GF dough overproof?

asked by @LynnWandaLynn about 4 years ago

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Anything with yeast in it can overproof or over-ferment. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing--taste the bread. If you like the flavor, there's no need to worry too much about it. Sometimes, yeast can give breads a beer-like smell.

The by-products of fermentation (proofing) are heat, alcohol, and carbon dioxide, hence the "beery" smell. If over-proofed, you're more likely to see the effects in your bread's structure, which will be poor, causing it to crumble or break apart when you slice it.