What would I get? I'm vegetarian

Hi I saw on the back of a Campbell's chicken noodle soup can a simple recipie that involved only the soup a can of creamed corn( which I love) and spices, to make a simple corn chowder.Since I an vegetarian I am wondering if I could sub in a different Campbell's soup like vegetable, cream of mushroom or cream of tomato?

Caroline Lange
Caroline Lange January 25, 2016

a simple vegetable stock would work just fine! (and you could add noodles later, if you wanted.)

Nancy January 25, 2016

Agree veg or mushroom or bean broth as sub for chicken noodle soup. Optional add some thin noodles.

Kristen W.
Kristen W. January 26, 2016

It's a little bit more of a project than opening a can of soup, but just in case you want to try it sometime you can also make corn stock and use that for extra-corny corn chowder. Here's a recipe from Saveur: http://www.saveur.com/article...

Maedl January 26, 2016

What you'll get with all of the canned soup and corn is a lot of salt, and probably a fair amount of sugar as well. I vote for the Saveur recipe as well!

Bevi
Bevi January 26, 2016

Lapadia makes a stock out of corn husks and cobs. http://food52.com/recipes...

I think it would be fantastic as the base for whatever kind of chowder you wind up making. Maybe too labor intensive or not seasonal for the corn, but something to think about in the future.

702551
702551 January 26, 2016

Bevi is right.

I suggest tabling any attempt at making corn stock from scratch for now. It's great when you have leftover cobs, but it's silly to consider in the dead of winter.

Note that the Saveur recipe was posted in the month of August.

Since you are asking which other can of Campbell's soup to replace their chicken noodle soup, I am guessing that you have no desire to make your own vegetable stock from scratch.

Just buy the Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable can (if you are stickler following brands) or replace with some other brand's vegetarian vegetable soup.

strawberrygirl
strawberrygirl January 28, 2016

If you're willing to stray from Campbell's, you could try Amy's No-Chicken Noodle.