A question about a recipe: Baked Tofu and Vegetable Egg Rolls

4613b142 5c5d 4379 9746 11d5a83e6634  2014 0114 cp tofu vegetable egg rolls 014

I have a question about the recipe "Baked Tofu and Vegetable Egg Rolls" from ieatthepeach. It's easier for me to get fresh shiitake rather than dried. How much fresh should I use? Is dried really preferable?

asked by JadeTree over 4 years ago

nancy essig

It is my opinion that the reasons for using dried are twofold. Firstly dried are usually in the pantry and easily accessible, second, when soaking your mushrooms, you get a flavourful liquid to put back into the dish. In using fresh, the liquid is in the mushroom itself so I cannot see a problem with replacing fresh for dried. Go for it.

gelikatesse

I used fresh too and it worked great!

JadeTree

Thanks! Glad to know I can whip them up with fresh in case I can't get out to the store that sells the dried version.

savorthis

When I use fresh I usually will saute or roast them to reduce the liquid and increase the flavor though I try to always have dried on hand.