Favorite pizza toppings

Looking to mix it up. My usuals: a grilled eggplant, goat cheese, pesto and olive combination, and some mixture of sauteed mushrooms, mozzarella, olives, and dried chilis (more smoky than spicy). What are your favorites?

asked by LucyS over 4 years ago

Asparagus and chevre

tyrannyofcake

Brussels sprouts are delicious on pizza, with bacon of course, if you eat meat.

Keep it as simple as possible. The worst thing you can do to a pizza is overindulge. Even good restaurants mess up on this one. Recently I sampled a pizza that used 'nduja and burrata cheese. Neither of these ingredients should ever be subjected to high heat like a pizza oven. And potatoes on pizza are just wrong.
A small amount of tomato, olives, capers and high quality oil packed tuna---now you've got my attention.

kimhw

Motz, Gorgonzola, spinach, figs and prosciutto. Yummy!

lem monade

agreeing with pierino regarding simplicity and good classics. some of my favourites: capers and anchovies; pizza baked with nothing but tomato sauce and topped with buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil right after getting it out of the oven; best quality (oil packed!) artichokes and olives.

Valentina Solfrini

So, one of my favorite pizzas is tuna (canned in olive oil) and onions (cooked). It is one of the most popular here in the wood-fired oven menus in Italy (or at least where I am). Adding cherry tomatoes to this one works.

One that is actually delicious but can't bring myself to eat: white pizza (no tomato sauce) with rapini, sausage and taleggio. A real overkill.

Cherry tomatoes are indeed excellent.Thanks for the reminder.

bigpan

Caramelized onions !

Felicia M

There's a killer combo that I tried a couple of years back from Pizza Hut (courtesy of this article http://slice.seriouseats...). It's bacon and black olives and it's surprisingly killer good.

Normally, I like mine really plain w Marinara sauce, basil, and either mushrooms, bell peppers or spinach and the like. No cheese. I find it helpful to concentrate on the flavor of the sauce and crust, especially if I'm trying the place for the first time.

Felicia M

Oh I forgot, some restaurants also have one where they add an egg on top. I always get those when they have it. They're fantastic. LA has some really creative toppings if you're looking for inspiration.

lisa

tomato sauce, buffala, fennel sausage, pickled peppers. Add a bit of baby arugula when it comes out of the oven.

HeatherDubs

Olive oil, mozzarella, zucchini ribbons, fresh basil. Once cooked then a little bit of capers and fresh cracked pepper on top.

nerditry

Hot - Mushrooms
Cold & Leftover - Kimchi