Favorite pizza toppings

Looking to mix it up. My usuals: a grilled eggplant, goat cheese, pesto and olive combination, and some mixture of sauteed mushrooms, mozzarella, olives, and dried chilis (more smoky than spicy). What are your favorites?

• Posted by: LucyS
  • March 7, 2014

HalfPint March 7, 2014

Asparagus and chevre

tyrannyofcake
tyrannyofcake March 7, 2014

Brussels sprouts are delicious on pizza, with bacon of course, if you eat meat.

pierino March 7, 2014

Keep it as simple as possible. The worst thing you can do to a pizza is overindulge. Even good restaurants mess up on this one. Recently I sampled a pizza that used 'nduja and burrata cheese. Neither of these ingredients should ever be subjected to high heat like a pizza oven. And potatoes on pizza are just wrong.
A small amount of tomato, olives, capers and high quality oil packed tuna---now you've got my attention.

kimhw
kimhw March 8, 2014

Motz, Gorgonzola, spinach, figs and prosciutto. Yummy!

lem monade
lem monade March 8, 2014

agreeing with pierino regarding simplicity and good classics. some of my favourites: capers and anchovies; pizza baked with nothing but tomato sauce and topped with buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil right after getting it out of the oven; best quality (oil packed!) artichokes and olives.

Valentina Solfrini
Valentina Solfrini March 8, 2014

So, one of my favorite pizzas is tuna (canned in olive oil) and onions (cooked). It is one of the most popular here in the wood-fired oven menus in Italy (or at least where I am). Adding cherry tomatoes to this one works.

One that is actually delicious but can't bring myself to eat: white pizza (no tomato sauce) with rapini, sausage and taleggio. A real overkill.

pierino March 8, 2014

Cherry tomatoes are indeed excellent.Thanks for the reminder.

bigpan
bigpan March 8, 2014

Caramelized onions !

Felicia M
Felicia M March 8, 2014

There's a killer combo that I tried a couple of years back from Pizza Hut (courtesy of this article http://slice.seriouseats...). It's bacon and black olives and it's surprisingly killer good.

Normally, I like mine really plain w Marinara sauce, basil, and either mushrooms, bell peppers or spinach and the like. No cheese. I find it helpful to concentrate on the flavor of the sauce and crust, especially if I'm trying the place for the first time.

Felicia M
Felicia M March 8, 2014

Oh I forgot, some restaurants also have one where they add an egg on top. I always get those when they have it. They're fantastic. LA has some really creative toppings if you're looking for inspiration.

lisa
lisa March 8, 2014

tomato sauce, buffala, fennel sausage, pickled peppers. Add a bit of baby arugula when it comes out of the oven.

HeatherDubs
HeatherDubs March 9, 2014

Olive oil, mozzarella, zucchini ribbons, fresh basil. Once cooked then a little bit of capers and fresh cracked pepper on top.

nerditry
nerditry March 11, 2014

Hot - Mushrooms
Cold & Leftover - Kimchi