ribs

i'd like to make a spicy pork ribs recipe this weekend. I'm not a huge potato salad or slaw fan. I'm looking for ideas for sides. The recipe is from Epicurious and uses a spicy Korean sauce.

Kirkwood tiger
Kirkwood tiger March 11, 2014

how about slices of sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil and grilled

kimhw
kimhw March 11, 2014

Mashed potatoes and parsnips. Garlicky sautéed kale.

bigpan
bigpan March 11, 2014

I would stick with an Asian theme and do a stir fry of veg with some Asian hot sauce, and rice. I would not hesitate to add a bunch of chopped kimchi to the rice (stir in after it has cooked) to give a bit of color and a nice hit of heat.

savorthis
savorthis March 12, 2014

I would do a quick, hot charred broccoli. We cut them thin but use the stem and then sear them in a bit of oil in a hot pan with salt tossing until they are a bit crisped. A drizzle of orange on top would be nice. Also a pickled salad of sorts using an arrangement of veg and a platform like polenta or a sticky rice that would go well with the pickled veg and some crunchy topping like peanuts, lime zest, crunchy maldon salt.

pierino March 12, 2014

Kimchi is the obvious call. By the way it's replacing kale as the "now" ingredient. It's easier and easier to find. Steamed white short grain rice in individual bowls. A typical Korean restaurant meal would begin with banshan; an assortment of small plates which can be shared. I was in Koreatown in LA two weeks ago the banshan included scallion pancake, broccoli with a sesame dressing, still more kimchi, bean sprouts and so on.

KellyinToronto
KellyinToronto March 12, 2014

For something different - maybe some noodles with scallion? I would make a ginger/ scallion oil and use it to top some just cooked asian noodles with a whole mess of steamed bak choy or other asian greens. By keeping the sides simple you're focusing on those delicious ribs!

Stephanie G
Stephanie G March 13, 2014

These are great! I love the kimchi, sticky rice, scallion pancake, and noodles. The broccoli and sweet potatoes sound great too....