🔕 🔔

ribs

i'd like to make a spicy pork ribs recipe this weekend. I'm not a huge potato salad or slaw fan. I'm looking for ideas for sides. The recipe is from Epicurious and uses a spicy Korean sauce.

asked by Stephanie G over 3 years ago

how about slices of sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil and grilled

Mashed potatoes and parsnips. Garlicky sautéed kale.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would stick with an Asian theme and do a stir fry of veg with some Asian hot sauce, and rice. I would not hesitate to add a bunch of chopped kimchi to the rice (stir in after it has cooked) to give a bit of color and a nice hit of heat.

Fca4e46d 262a 416c 8ce5 316470249de2  565101 1406091363 1702312332 n

I would do a quick, hot charred broccoli. We cut them thin but use the stem and then sear them in a bit of oil in a hot pan with salt tossing until they are a bit crisped. A drizzle of orange on top would be nice. Also a pickled salad of sorts using an arrangement of veg and a platform like polenta or a sticky rice that would go well with the pickled veg and some crunchy topping like peanuts, lime zest, crunchy maldon salt.

Kimchi is the obvious call. By the way it's replacing kale as the "now" ingredient. It's easier and easier to find. Steamed white short grain rice in individual bowls. A typical Korean restaurant meal would begin with banshan; an assortment of small plates which can be shared. I was in Koreatown in LA two weeks ago the banshan included scallion pancake, broccoli with a sesame dressing, still more kimchi, bean sprouts and so on.

720c1c6d 40ca 459b 86c8 325b3c8b54bf  image

For something different - maybe some noodles with scallion? I would make a ginger/ scallion oil and use it to top some just cooked asian noodles with a whole mess of steamed bak choy or other asian greens. By keeping the sides simple you're focusing on those delicious ribs!

These are great! I love the kimchi, sticky rice, scallion pancake, and noodles. The broccoli and sweet potatoes sound great too....