Got crazy at grocery yesterday and bought smoked salt. I find the smell super overwhelming... No idea what to do with it! @Food52Hotline

asked by @allheartpr over 4 years ago

You can use it for grilling (or roasting) meat, pork or poultry, or in a grilling spice rub.

The Lard Of Avon

Actually, I will suggest the opposite. Use it when you can't grill & still want that smoky quality real flames impart. You are right in that is extremely pungent. Roast anything in the oven and still get that grilled flavor. The possibilities are endless.

Dave on the grill

If you like bloody Mary's, mix it w sea salt, or celery salt, or create your own seasoning mixture to give a nice smoky flavor. I recently made siracha salt for grilled okra from this site http://food52.com/blog.... It was great on the okra, but a pinch of smoked salt mixed in would be great.

akrainey

I've used smoked salt in a in a brine for turkey. It added a great layer of flavor. I'm sure it would be equally good in brines for other meats, too.

Emilie Puttrich

Use it to season sautéed edamame in their shells.

Also a good addition to home made BBQ sauce

arcane54

I sprinkled it on caramel for holiday gifts candies. Try it on vanilla ice cream that's been drizzled with dulce de leche.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Lots of great ideas here, I like it with grilled fish.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

you can always use half smoked and half "traditional" salt to dampen it a bit...

Late to the game, but...

I like to sprinkle a few grains onto fresh tomato slices and enjoy. or sprinkle a little over roasted vegetables.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

that is so true! i completely forgot about it

Julie

I like to add smoked salt and lemon juice to steamed kale, and I'm sure it would be tasty with other vegetables too. It's a very easy and very flavorful.