how to ask a question

Can someone suggest good local (NYC) source for 00 flour for pizza making (like in Sam Sifton piece in this week's Times?) Tried Fairway Harlem & Whole Foods (upper west side) yesterday and no luck! I see Bob's Red Mills online via amazon.com has a "semolina pasta flour" - perhaps that's the same? Thanks in advance for any local tips or general advice!

asked by helicopterina over 4 years ago

Sam Sifton's pizza dough article is probably what made it sell out at Fairway and Whole Foods. ;-) You could phone Eataly, Dean and Deluca or Eli Zabar. But it might be easiest and fastest to order it online.

And someone might be selling it at the Union Square green market.

By the way, if it makes your life simpler, not everyone agrees on the need for 00 flour for pizza dough. A good all-purpose flour also works fine.

Buon Italia at the Chelsea Market carries it. If you're not only looking for Manhattan, the Arthur Ave. Market in the Bronx probably does too - think Eataly without the touristy hype and corresponding prices.

Here's another flour combo that has worked well for me:
250g unbleached all-purpose (such as King Arthur)
250g low-protein flour (such as White Lily 'Light for Baking')
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
Stir to mix. Stir in 380g cool water, just until all the flour is absorbed. Dough will be wet and sticky. Cover bowl with dough with plastic wrap. Let stand in a cool place for 18 hours (your garage, away from any radiators or heating units, etc.).

To bake, use All Purpose flour to generously dust your counter. Remove the dough from the bowl with a rubber spatula. Gather the dough at the edges and press into the center. Rotate and repeat. After just a few turns, it should be a smooth ball. You do NOT need to knead it. Let it rest 10 or 15 minutes, then spread it out with your floured hands into a pan on which to make the pizza (can use a baking sheet, upside down, dust it with cornmeal first.) This quantity should give you about 20" across so you may want to make two 10-inch pies. Hope your pizza is delicious!

helicopterina

Thank you both! I've made pizza dough for years - off and on - using just all purpose and am intrigued to try it with the 00 in the mix. I bet you're right, Pegeen, that the recent piece in NYT caused a run on local stores. Will either try to get it online or at another specialty shop like sur la table etc.

helicopterina

Also - sorry for my goofy question 'title' or lead-in ... I tried to edit to something more appropriate but couldn't quite figure out how to do that.

We also sell 00 flour at Provisions: http://food52.com/provisions...

helicopterina

thank you - good to know.