🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Vegan Date Nut Bread

Cf203d95 6de9 4583 9e65 3431fda684a8  2014 0408 gena vegan date nut bread 012

I have a question about the recipe "Vegan Date Nut Bread" from Gena Hamshaw. I scooped a 1/2 cup measuring cup with (solid) coconut oil and then melted it. It appeared to be more than 1/2 cup when I added it to the milk/cider vinegar mixture. Should it have been 1/2 cup OF melted coconut oil? Thanks!!

asked by BR95510 over 3 years ago

The recipe says 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil. Maybe just keep an eye on the baking time and if it needs a few more minutes (because of any additional liquid), try that. The recipe explains sticking a toothpick in the center to see how wet the batter is. I like to stick in a knife blade, myself - easier to judge.

Thank you! I did cook for about an extra 15 minutes and just removed from the pan. I'm not sure if it's done yet. But should I have poured the melted coconut oil into a measuring cup and measured out 1/2 cup of the melted oil? Or do you think there wasn't a measurable difference between the 1/2 cup solid and a 1/2 cup melted??

Hi BR95510, yes, from what I see in the recipe, the idea was to measure out 1/2 cup of melted oil. I don't coconut oil much, but if I had to guess, I would say there is not a significant difference between measuring it in solid form vs liquid. I'm guessing your bread is going to be fine! The best teacher is experience... how the bread tastes to you. And there are so many other variables... does your oven heat true to temperature, etc. The bread sounds delicious - enjoy it!

p.s. You might want to post this question in the "Comments" section of the actual recipe. I'm not positive, but I think the recipe authors receive an email with those questions.

I'm new to the site. I thought this was for comments or questions. :-/ The taste is outstanding! And my oven is brand new and dead accurate. I bought a new gas range because I do a lot of breads (yeast and no knead) and just a lot of cooking in general. So I needed to replace my outdated electric. I will melt and measure next time and see if that matters, and possibly use the convection feature too. Try the recipe though, it's wonderful!! :) and thanks for all your help!!

BR95510, nothing wrong with posting your question here. Lots of helpful people here. I only suggested posting in the Recipe's comments section in case you were especially interested in hearing from the recipe author.
I'm guessing your bread will taste fine!