favorite KitchenAid mixer recipe?

After drooling over them for years, I just got a KitchenAid mixer! It's a 5qt Artesian in a glittery black. So excited! But now I can't decide what to do first ;-p Lol. Which recipe do you suggest for getting used to its performance? And what's a good recipe that really shows off what it can do? Note: I don't have any attachments for it so pasta is out.

• Posted by: Kt4
  • May 21, 2014

miss jane
miss jane May 21, 2014

Meringue. It's mesmerizing to watch it in the mixer

Kt4
Kt4 May 23, 2014

I've never done meringue and came across this recent post here...https://food52.com/recipes...
I'm going to a BBQ this weekend so will ask if she needs a dessert :D

Kt4
Kt4 May 23, 2014

I'm also contemplating the walnut recipe finalist...The Walnut Variation: A Cake, By Aliwaks.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich May 21, 2014

First, congratulations are in order. You will never regret your investment. The first thing that came to mind is cookie dough, mostly because my son and I loved making cookies together when he was little. Who knew a kitchen tool could have sentimental value? I also enjoy making whipping cream in my machine. I've had my mixer for over 20 years and it's still humming along. The glittery black sounds beautiful.

Kt4
Kt4 May 23, 2014

Thank you for the suggestion and reminiscing :)

Kt4
Kt4 May 23, 2014

The KitchenAid longevity is renowned I think. It makes spending so much money not quite as scary. I find it funny that it's as big as my 25lb Beagle, and probably as heavy Lol.

kimhw
kimhw May 21, 2014

Again, congrats. I got mine 8 years ago from my mother as a wedding present. As if paying for my wedding wasn't enough.
Each year on my anniversary she gives me a new attachment. I just love it!
My favorite thing to make now are ice cream sandwiches. We make our cookies and while they cool we make ice cream. Assemble, freeze and then enjoy!!!

mickle
mickle May 22, 2014

Make an angel food cake white or chocolate (just a simple cocoa substitution for some of the flour; incredibly easy with Kitchen-aid; use the recipe in the KIt. Aid book; serve with Berries; fun to see the power of this machine!

Kt4
Kt4 May 23, 2014

I double-checked and my KitchenAid book didn't come with this recipe :(

Kt4
Kt4 May 23, 2014

While waiting for your suggestions, I started with French bread & culture butter. Though I didn't have the patience to wait after adding yogurt to the cream Lol. It was so neat watching the cream go through the various stages before turning into butter!! I'm still learning how to gauge bread dough but not bad for my first attempt :))

mickle
mickle May 23, 2014

The small wire bound book is "KitchenAid Mi xer and Attachments --Recipes and Instructions". The recipe is on pg. 26. (The substitution to make a chocolate angel food is to reduce the cake flour by 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup cocoa. I bought my KitchenAid in1993 and have never hada single new part or repair. Even the bowl is original!