A question about a recipe: Purslane Salad

6dc5b664 e869 4b92 a00b c5e647ee1f44  food52 09 25 12 9332

I have a question about the recipe "Purslane Salad" from linzarella. How much melon is "3/4 cup"? 1 melon? Half a melon? In the UK we don't measure things in cups and I need to know how much to buy

asked by Sarah about 4 years ago

linzarella

Half a melon should be just fine. I could be more precise, but I'm in the US and I don't measure things by, well, whatever you measure them by there in the UK. But you could always google "3/4 cup = how many grams?" or whatever measurement it is you want to use.

Sarah

Thanks! We'd usually measure things by weight (volume is only for liquids), but a melon is not something I'd ever buy by weight, so wanted an estimation in more "melon-y" terms...

That's a tough one because converting cup to grams depends on how you cut the melon. According to gourmetsleuth.com, one cup of cubed cantaloupe melon weighs 177 grams. So, 3/4 cup would be about 132 grams. Way less than 1/2 a melon unless it's teeny.

Sarah

That's a really good point. But how do you work it out in the US? If a recipe like this calls for a cup amount of melon, how much melon would you buy? Or would you err on the side of caution, buy a big one and eat the rest?! :-)

You know, because it's all I've known, I tend to eyeball and estimate. For example, one half a large onion is about one cup. I do have a scale that has a grams setting, but I don't use it much. We Americans are quite inaccurate. :) I would buy a whole melon and eyeball the measurement and snack on the rest.

smslaw

You need about a farthing's worth of melon. At least that's what I paid about a fortnight ago.

bigpan

This is like "how long is a piece of string"?
Melons, of course, come in different sizes, so cut some up...the amount you can hold in your two cupped hands is probably enough.

I have always thought that a measurement like 3/4 cup melon is silly. Who on earth would measure like that?! Use your own judgment on the quantity--getting the precise amount is not critical to the recipe in a salad, so use what looks pleasing to the eye and tempting to the tastebuds.

linzarella

Yes, I agree! At the time I wrote this recipe, I don't think I realized it was possible to upload a recipe without specifying an exact amount, but I just want to go on the record stating that it does not matter in the least how much melon you use.