🔕 🔔

Ideas for an easily reheated meal (which can be consumed while holding a baby)? Am bringing over dinner to friends with a newborn - they are fish eating vegetarians; don't like spicy food (i.e., no Indian/Mexican).

asked by allie over 7 years ago

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

Maybe some kind of vegetarian potato or bean soup- would be easy to eat, reheat, and very soothing. Also perhaps some type of casserole (tuna casserole?). I am a fish-eating vegetarian and those things sound like they would be really good after having a baby. And some fresh baked bread would be nice too.

After having a baby your body is craving protien but some people say to stay away from beans b/c if you're nursing they can make the baby gassy (though that's not necessarily true, hard to say). I agree that a tuna noodle casserole would be good or perhaps a quiche packed with spinach (iron is also great for new moms) and cheese (calcium). You can send with undressed salad and a great bread. Or maybe bring some eggplant parm that they can freeze.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I brought the (not barefoot) contessa's fish pasta to my stepson and daughter-in-law when their baby was born. I reheated the sauce in the oven and cooked the pasta there. Here's the link: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Cf4e8aef 7250 4ef6 aaa3 28c660c04dd7  580125 10150861988653649 771567434 n

What about a hearty soup like potato leek with homemade croutons? Or a mushroom lasagna?

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

Funny, I was thinking about posting the exact same question yesterday. Ended up bringing my friends homemade mac + cheese and a big green salad. Seemed like it was a hit.

After I had my first baby my pescatarian friends brought over spinach quiche and fruit salad. Fantastic for eating cold standing over the sink and also for popping in the toaster oven when I had five minutes to do so. Cheese and eggs provided protein and spinach helped with iron-cravings. If you're being generous I'd say you could bring multiples and switch up the fillings; any leftovers would freeze well too.

Thanks to everyone!

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Black Bean Chili is my bring to friends meal. It's so easy to reheat and to eat. The day after the WTC fell down I brought it to a friend (her brother was missing). I adapted the recipe from The Greens Cookbook. I've made it for up to 100 people and so far nobody hasn't like it and there seems to be nobody out there with a chili allergy.

luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

p.s. can make it mild if they don't like spicy, have fed this to everyone, including toddlers who are mostly spice haters

I ended up making an asian themed salmon, an orzo salad with feta, tomatoes and pinenuts, string beans and lots of fruit salad. The suggestions above were wonderful.