🔕 🔔

My husband is an Argentina Jew and he loves a certain Jewish pasta dish his grandmother makes. It is a pressed/dried pasta called "farfalej." It is not boiled, but sauteed with onion and then you add water/broth. When I tried to find it here I cannot figure out the name in English. Any ideas??

asked by KLL5 over 7 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I think it's just called farfel here. And I believe it's the same thing as "egg barley," which I actually wrote a blog post about several months ago: http://www.food52.com/blog...

Yes, that is exactly it. That soup recipe looks amazing too. Thank you!

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

Yes, it is farfel. My grandmother used to cook this for us all the time just as the question-asker described. Hmm. It's been decades since I ate it. Time for a new side dish.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

"Farfel" was also the name of a canine puppet character on the Milton Berle show (I'm not making this up). You could substitute israeli couscous.