My husband is an Argentina Jew and he loves a certain Jewish pasta dish his grandmother makes. It is a pressed/dried pasta called "farfalej." It is not boiled, but sauteed with onion and then you add water/broth. When I tried to find it here I cannot figure out the name in English. Any ideas??

asked by KLL5 about 8 years ago

I think it's just called farfel here. And I believe it's the same thing as "egg barley," which I actually wrote a blog post about several months ago: http://www.food52.com/blog...

KLL5

Yes, that is exactly it. That soup recipe looks amazing too. Thank you!

phyllis

Yes, it is farfel. My grandmother used to cook this for us all the time just as the question-asker described. Hmm. It's been decades since I ate it. Time for a new side dish.

"Farfel" was also the name of a canine puppet character on the Milton Berle show (I'm not making this up). You could substitute israeli couscous.