Piping temperature for ganache

I'm decorating a cake that asks me to pipe out ganache shapes, freeze them, and apply them to the cake. What temperature should I cool my ganache to to pipe appropriately?

asked by PhillipBrandon about 4 years ago

I don't know the exact temp, I just went by texture. Probably room temperature, but it just needs to cool enough to hold its shape. Like a frosting except not whipped.

Leona Schweins

I allow mine to cool to near room temp and then pipe onto a sheet pan lined with wax paper that has been pre-chilled in the freezer. That way the ganache begins hardening as soon as it touches the pan and won't run. You can "re-chill" the pan as often as needed.

This being summer and all, there's room temperature and there's room temperature. My kitchen right now, at around 7:45 in the evening registers 82 degrees. That's a pretty warm room temperature. When it's this warm, if I want to either pipe or whip ganache, once it has cooled to "room temperature," I set it over a bowl of cool, not cold, and certainly not iced, water. I stir it frequently and carefully. Once it has cooled to a point where it can hold its shape when piped, I move ahead to the next step. Winter is a whole different story. My corner of the kitchen at work is so cold during winter months that I have to wear a thermal shirt under my chef's coat. The good news is that its "room temperature" is absolutely perfect for chilling ganache to either a piping stage or for scooping for truffles.