🔕 🔔

So why would I choose ghee over butter? Other than that it has a high heat tolerance.

asked by Tasha almost 4 years ago

I got into ghee when I did my first Whole 30. You give up dairy, grains, legumes, sugar and processed foods for 30 days and reintroduce them one at a time to see if you have any adverse reactions. Ghee has the dairy removed. I make my own now and love the flavor. It's great to cook with because of the high smoke point and flavor. I don't do canola or other seed oils, so it's a good option for me.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I find ghee and butter have different tastes, sometimes one is better in a recipe. Also I think that ghee has a much longer shelf life than butter.

I don't cook with ghee near as often as I would like, but I crave it in the summer. Whereas in the winter, my body loves butter better.

George H

Most common is to remove the lactose to avoid lactose intolerance. I am sure this is not the culinary intention, more a modern idea.

Ghee has a nutty flavor that works great with thing like Seafood.
When a lobster is served with 'drawn butter'...that's ghee.
Same for frying scallops. Use the ghee.

You can also control the 'nutty' flavor of ghee if you make it yourself.

Actually, ghee is clarified butter taken a step further. The milk solids are browned before being strained out.

Tasha

Thanks everyone! So ghee would be good for say lobster and crab if melted down?

Absolutely. Are you going to make it yourself or purchase it?