Homemade Apple Butter -- Substitute for Applesauce in a Cake?

If I adjust the sugar -- carefully! -- could I use homemade apple butter in a cake recipe that calls for thick applesauce?

boulangere August 4, 2014

One of my fondest childhood memories is my mother's apple butter on a peanut butter sandwich. Fast-forward many years to apple trees in the yard of my own young family, and I made apple butter, too. I used it often in place of apple sauce in one of our favorite breakfast cakes. By all means, do it.

aargersi August 5, 2014

Absolutely! I did that with this cake from Merrill and it's fantastic:

https://food52.com/recipes...

Pegeen August 5, 2014

Any good recipes for apple butter? Thanks!

aargersi August 5, 2014

if I do say so myself: https://food52.com/recipes...

and sometimes I make a basic version with apples, good apple cider, brown sugar and cinnamon. I like it better with a variety of apples rather than a single type.

Liza's Kitchen NYC
Liza's Kitchen NYC August 5, 2014

I've made apple butter many times, mostly without a "recipe". In a slow cooker, add about 6.5 lbs of apples (I like honey crisp and fuji), 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 TB cinnamon, 0.5 tsp nutmeg, 0.25 tsp ginger (or cloves - I'm just not a fan), 0.25 tsp salt, and 1 TB vanilla extract. Cook on low for about 10 hours or overnight stirring/mushing occasionally then when it's done pour it in a blender (or use a food processor) and blend until smooth. Make sure it's cool prior to putting it in jars (or at least wait to close them).

Pegeen August 5, 2014

Thank you for the recipes!

Melusine
Melusine August 6, 2014

Once again -- thank you! Making pecan apple cake this afternoon.