🔕 🔔

cherry eau-de-vie vs cherry heering

A cherry tart recipe calls for Kirsch (cherry eau-de-vie). Can cherry heering be substituted. I researched it and the heering has half the alcohol but is sweeter.... Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

asked by DebJ over 3 years ago

You could use the sweeter cherry heering, but I think it might tend toward cloying if you are using sweet cherries. Do you have rum or perhaps something like Cointreau? I think either one might add a zip that cherry heering lacks.

Agree with Maedl. But/and if you want to use the cherry heering, you can reduce sugar elsewhere in recipe - filling, pastry, sour instead of sweet cherries.