Are there any recipes made with a cookie press that actually taste good?

I'm not a fan of Spritz cookies, but I have one of the presses, and think it would be fun to use. Am I alone in thinking they are tasteless? Anyone have a good recipe that is actually tasty, and not just full of nostalgia?

• Posted by: Angela
  • August 12, 2014

ChefJune August 12, 2014

Mom always made press cookies at Christmas, and when the kids were little, so did I. I agree they can be tasteless, BUT... they don't have to be. Using really good butter is a great place to start. {they are, after all, butter cookies!] As well, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of really good vanilla extract (not grocery store stuff) changes everything. Orange extract in place of vanilla is also tasty. Message me if you'd like my exact recipe. I'll be glad to share.

QueenOfGreen
QueenOfGreen August 12, 2014

I have a vanilla cardamom cookie (for a cookie press) recipe that is my favorite Christmas cookie. But not quite sure how to share it with you...

Voted the Best Reply!

cookbookchick
cookbookchick August 13, 2014

ChefJune and QueenOfGreen, why don't you each post your recipes on Food52? That way we can all enjoy them and plan ahead for holiday spritzing!

AntoniaJames August 13, 2014

My mother made the most wonderful press cookies, which we called "snowflake cookies". They include a bit of cream cheese, as well as orange rind and just a touch of cinnamon. Her Depression-era recipe calls for shortening, which allows the vanilla, orange and cinnamon flavors to come through loud and clear. The last time I made them, I used nutmeg instead of cinnamon, and liked them even better. I plan to test this recipe using part butter and part organic, non-hydrogenated shortening; I'll post the recipe once I do. (I wouldn't substitute butter entirely, as I've found that shortening gives cookies like this a better texture.) ;o)