Rescue potato salad

I'm going to a potluck tonight and cheated by buying a deli potato salad. I knew it was risky but am rushed for time. It is so blah I can't stand it. A friend recommended adding fresh dill and green onion to pep it up. I added the dill but the overwhelming blandness cancels it out.!it is the standard-issue mayonnaise potato salad. Can someone help?

asked by ATL about 4 years ago

Some spices could jazz it up. How about curry powder.

Dave on the grill

Curry is a great idea, or some mustard always peps it up. Fresh cracked pepper is an easy fix. The Green Onions will add some texture, consider something else too. Like fresh diced peppers, even some fresh broccoli, bacon or diced Granny Smith apples dipped in lime juice.

I would start with Dijon mustard. Actually any good mustard will help. Do you have some on hand?

ATL
ATL

Thanks for the ideas! Yes, I do have Dijon mustard and agree that's a good starting point.

Tarragon

I like celery seed (along with the mustard).

I like my potato salad to be a bit on the sweet side, so I would recommend adding a tiny bit of sugar.

OK ATL & HalfPint, some like it sweet. Some like it sour - so you could add some good vinegar, open white wine, sumac, lemon or dried mango powder. Or some of sugar & one of this for a sweet/sour balance. And whatever direction you take the flavors, garnish with some nice chopped green herb(s) according to your & the party's preference.

Dijon is a good idea. Also, I find that when something tastes blah the fix is often a hit of acid - no not that kind! Lemon, wine vinegar, whatever, it just brightens flavors. Or, with the dill, tossing in some capers might be good and counteract the bland.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

amysarah - you made me laugh out loud!

ATL
ATL

These are all great ideas. I'll start with the Dijon and add some vinegar. I like a piquant potato salad. I can build from there if necessary. I learned my lesson--make my own.

mainecook61

Pickle juice from a jar of pickles. Sweet pickles are best but any pickles will do. Works every time.