When a recipe calls for crumbled goat cheese - how do you crumble it?

It doesn't crumble well in my hands. Advice? Thanks in advance.

• Posted by: SKK
  • August 14, 2014

Voted the Best Reply!

Susan W August 14, 2014

Some crumble well in your fingers, but others don't. I've had some that are so creamy that I've had to pinch blobs off. Sometimes using a fork helps to avoid body heat. It's all good, just crumble the best way you can. :0)

Nancy August 15, 2014

another way to crumble very sticky goat cheese. open on its own wrapping or a piece of foil, waxed paper etc. Cut in small pieces with a knife, invert paper over the dish (salad, whatever) and scrape cheese into it.

C.Nielsen
C.Nielsen August 15, 2014

If you get a super creamy one, just toss it in the freezer for 5 minutes (Set a timer so you don't forget!) and then crumble away with your hands or a fork!

SKK August 16, 2014

OK, I will give up my resignation on this topic and try freezing first. Thank you!

SKK August 15, 2014

I went to my favorite cheesemonger, Irene, and asked her this question. Her response was "I have tried pushing it through the holes of a colander. It doesn't always work. And if you find a way to crumble goat cheese come back and let me know and we will both be famous."
The colander trick did not work, so I used a different cheese, a hard cheese I grated. And my guests loved the recipe.

boulangere August 15, 2014

I like to use gloves because it's a little less messy. Just a little. C. Nielsen's freezer suggestion is interesting.