I just zested half of an orange for pain d'epices and am not sure what to do with the un-zested remainder. Will it keep for awhile in the fridge? Or should I zest the rest, freeze it and have myself a glass of fresh OJ?

hardlikearmour December 22, 2010

I'll sometimes put zested oranges in a plastic bag and keep them in the fridge for a few days. Anything longer than that, I'd just go with your latter suggestion.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery December 22, 2010

Zest it completely and wrap the zest into a small packet with plastic wrap. Then, put your packet in a baggie and keep in the freezer. It'll keep like this quite well for about 3 months, less well for about 6 months. Use it thawed in breads, cakes, cookies, etc. A word of warning: do NOT thaw it by microwaving. The essential oil in the zest will combust and you'll have a tiny flash of flame, a bit of smoke, and rather an odd scent to your kitchen for a week.

shaska
shaska December 22, 2010

supreme (or segment, which is just removing the pith and membranes) the rest of the orange and enjoy it over yogurt and honey or ice cream.

lifestooshort
lifestooshort December 22, 2010

Thanks for the tips!!

Kayb
Kayb December 23, 2010

zest the whole thing, freeze the extra zest, and make yourself a screwdriver!

AntoniaJames December 23, 2010

I usually freeze zest, pulled using a conventional zester and not a microplane, in the juice. The freezer tends to dry out the zest too much, even when well wrapped, when frozen alone. If I don't need the juice in the recipe, I just strain it. The juice that is left over is delicious, by the way. ;o)

lifestooshort
lifestooshort January 1, 2011

OK, I'm on my second batch of pain d'epices--the recipe on Wild Yeast's blog is delicious, by the way. AntoniaJames, do you find that zest from a regular zester keeps better than microplaned zest? Kayb, I like your advice, but at this early hour of the day maybe will opt for a mimosa instead!