Do i need a high pressure canner for canning chicken broth. If so presto or all american?

Canning question

asked by pedant about 4 years ago

Because it is a very low acid food, yes, you will need a pressure canner. I will let our experienced canners weigh in on the brand, but I did just read that All American is a good one. My freezer is always full of frozen stock...great idea to can it.

I just zipped over to Amazon. Holy moly the All Americans are expensive.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

This might be helpful: http://www.sbcanning.com...

ChezHenry

I'm sure you have your reasons....but...why not just freeze it? I freeze different size ziplock freezer bags worth of my stocks. Concentrated it down also helps-a little goes a long way. Always put a date on the bag-if it seems like it's getting old, I just add them to a new batch of bones and make a double stock. The stock gets richer and richer-I can trace mine back to Hurricane Sandy, when I lost a freezer full of a variety of stocks. If I had canned them, I guess I wouldn't have lost them! Stock is such a key base ingredient, I always utilize it.

I do freeze it. However, I live in an apt and my freezer is always packed full of meat, stock and backs and necks for future stock. I do have a large pantry that I am planning on filling with home jarred tomatoes and Mrs Wheelbarrow's roasted poblano and tomato salsa. I probably wont purchase the pressure canner and will probably purchase a small apt sized freezer. I still would enjoy opening my pantry and seeing golden jars of stock.