canning, tomatoes

i used 1 teaspoon per pint for mu boiling water processed whole tomatoes. can i reprocess adding 1 tablespoon, they have been sitting on the counter for 5 days

asked by Horto about 4 years ago

1tsp or TB of what? citric acid?

I am unclear as what you did when you processed them the first time. Could you provide more details?

Horto

sorryI should have used 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, I used 1 teaspoon

The quality of a twice processed vegetable may be lower with some nutrient loss, flavor , and texture changes. I would skip reprocessing and store jars of tomatoes in the fridge, then use within the next couple of months. As long as a proper seal was maintained and there are no off odors, the tomatoes could be ok and safe to eat.

Horto

thanks,
I gonna take them out of the jars and freeze them, that was my first batch….learning

Horto, I have become a freezer nut. You may find you like freezing things more than processing. I find it easier and I think the product is fresher tasting. Of course, it does take up space, but I like the results so much that I am buying a small stand alone freezer.

Horto

Thanks Susan,
With the long processing time for tomatoes, it's the way to go, such a helpful place this hotline!

Horto

what are people freezing this harvest season? i have been wilting chard and freezing it for weeks, fresh chives and parsley….

I am freezing sooo much stuff. Marcella's tomato sauce with canned tomatoes and 3 batches with fresh, Francis Lam's ratatouille (insanely good), short ribs for tacos, gingered zucchini soup, chicken stock, roasted eggplant chunks, kale (not blanched) and tons of herbs. Some whirred up with oil and some just straight out of the garden and into the bag. My weber is heating up and I am going to fire roast ten lbs of tomatoes. Also, grape heirloom tomatoes. Last but not least, 3/4 cup portions of cilantro lime rice.

Sometimes I freeze because I live alone, but still cook for 8 and sometimes to preserve summer's bounty. My freezer makes me laugh every time I open it.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Susan - I love the photo of your freezer! Thanks for sharing. I love freezing food too. I feel like I can't go wrong.

Trena, it's like a rubik's cube. :0) Now I need to bag and add ten lbs of fire roasted tomatoes.

Horto

Great to hear! Herbs in oil, roasting tomatoes on grill, instead of the oven? I like having a bag of those to throw into anything, in my freezer as well.

Yes, on the grill. It worked great, but I think I let them go too long. They hardly held their shape and there's mostly juice. They'll still be great this winter.