What sides should I serve with a whole roasted lamb?

I'm roasting a whole lamb at a house in the woods outside of Boulder, CO for a bachelor party next weekend. I'm definitely making Greek Mahogany Potatoes (https://food52.com/recipes...) with it. What else should I make? My current ideas, which are vague and incomplete:

Greens
Grilled Eggplant
Fig and Feta salad (not sure if figs will be in season there)

Sam1148 October 10, 2014

Tabbouleh salad. Cucumber Yogurt salad.
Stuffed grape leaves/or stuffed cabbage leaf.

Broad beans..with a Greek tomato sauce.
Spinach 'curried' with chick peas.
Or use puff pastry to make spanakopia type things.

Carrots with honey and dill and mint.

But do a middle eastern hummus, babaganoush thing with grilled flat bread. and a yogurt/cucumber based thing. So people can make their own pocket things with the lamb. A couple of bowls of herbs (mint and parsley) would be nice.

nancy essig
nancy essig October 10, 2014

Both of them

Voted the Best Reply!

Susan W October 10, 2014

My Greek Yia Yia always served avgolemono soup before a lamb dinner or a chopped romaine, tomato, cucumber and red onion (everything chopped small gives it a great texture) salad with red wine vinegar or lemon dressing and topped with feta and calamata olives and fresh dill. Just in case it's too late for figs. I feel like you need a bright color like a winter squash something on the plate. Going to think about that.

What a lucky groom!!

Nancy October 11, 2014

Go for strong colors, some acid in fruit, and a choice of North African, South Asian or Highland (that's Scotland) flavor profiles. Yes to your greens, and I suggest romaine or a mix of dark lettuce leaves. Skip the eggplant - too dark or visually lacking in contrast to the lamb. Yes on Fig & Feta if you can find. Dates go well with lamb & would be a good substitute if figs n/a. Couscous with baharat or ras el hanout. Muhammara (walnut pomegranate sauce). Cauliflower, roasted - on its own or topping the romaine salad. Roasted sweet potatoes, chunked or cut in sticks like french fries. Basmati rice, pappadums and curry if you want to go South Asian. Neaps & tatties (potatoes & turnips) and serve them with chaser of smoky scotch.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen October 11, 2014

I'm very partial to Greek themed lamb dinners...a big greek salad, spinach and rice, greek baked beans, roasted peppers or pepper salad, the Greek Mahogany Potatoes...and to start some tarama, skordalia, cold rice stuffed grape leaves, a lot of bread.......

Bevi
Bevi October 11, 2014

My Bulgarian moth in-in-law taught me how to make these beans over 40 years ago. The longer the beans cook, the softer and tastier they become: http://food52.com/recipes...

They are a Middle Eastern favorite, apparently, in that part of the world, and are a popular dish because they can hang out on the stove top for hours, simmering.

Bevi
Bevi October 11, 2014

Sorry - mother-in-law.

Michael Hoffman
Michael Hoffman October 11, 2014

Thank you, everyone, for the excellent and inspirational answers. I'm still working it out, but I think I'm going with Mahogany Potatoes, caramelized sweet and sour delicata squash, braised greens, fig or date and orange salad with feta and parsley, tzatsiki, and pickled onions. I'm getting hungry just writing that!

Susan W October 11, 2014

Yum!! What a great dinner. I would love to be downwind just to smell it all.

ATG117
ATG117 October 18, 2014

Do you have recipes for this menu? Would love to take a look. Sounds perfect.