Will TSA let me fly with a baked pie?

AntoniaJames September 14, 2010

Call the airport where you will be flying and ask the TSA security manager there. I bring food onto airplanes all the time. Whether a pie would create a problem would probably depend on how liquidy the filling is. I travel a lot, and have found significant differences in the enforcement and interpretation of TSA rules nationwide. Getting an answer from someone at that particular airport -- be sure to get his or her name, too -- is your best bet. ;o)

Hilarybee
Hilarybee September 14, 2010

I used to work for the Feds and travel frequently. No need to call the airport- pies are allowed. For further verification, see the TSA Blog. Here's what Bob, TSA blogger has to say: Yes, you can take your pie- but you have to put it through the scanner.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2008/11/easy-as-pie.html

pierino September 14, 2010

Should be no problem unless you baked a pistol in it. As long it's domestic travel I can't see an issue. International is another thing.

HeritageCook
HeritageCook September 16, 2010

Kate - I think it depends on the airport. At Oakland we can't take any foods in with us, but we can buy them once inside security! You can probably get a special clearance, like police do when they are traveling with their weapons...just call ahead!