🔕 🔔

Does anyone know how to cook/bake for a NO sugar, or substitute, and no carb person?

Husband has both Type 2 Diabetes and Rheumatoid Arthritis....no carbs, no wheat, gluten free, fruit free? Been looking into Paleo...... All responses so appreciated.

asked by susan frimond about 2 years ago
516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Not cheap, but look into using "stevia" as a sugar substitute - but you do not need to use a lot. I use the liquid form and find 3 or 4 drops are closely equal to a tablespoon of sugar.
Google it.

Paleo is a great place to look. NomNom Paleo, Clothes Make The Girl (her 2 cookbooks Well Fed and Well Fed2 are awesome), Mark Sisson and Chris Kresser all have great recipes online. Are you looking for desserts only?

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I checked out "Everyday Paleo" by Sarah Fragoso at the library and the recipes looked good and provided me with a better understanding of the Paleo lifestyle. Here's the author website: http://everydaypaleo.com/ Check it out!

Forgot about that one. She's great.

In my opinion, it's very, very difficult to bake without sugar/carbs/sugar substitutes unless you're looking into savoury things, which most of the time could also be done with almond/coconut flours and a binder such as an egg white for crusts and crumbles. Some paleo recipes are also great - however more than often, they do contain natural sweeteners that are relatively high in sugars (i.e. honey, dates, maple syrup) that may not be suitable for a diabetic patient.

You could consider increasing the amount of spices used in your recipes - some of them exhibit the ability to increase the sweetness in a recipe with negligible amounts of natural sugars, such as vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. I've learnt at university that cinnamon especially has promising potentials in regards to type 2 diabetes due to its ability to decrease blood glucose and lipid levels and increase in HDL's, it also lowers the rate at which carbohydrates are absorbed as glucose, which could be beneficial if added to your husband's foods. I also have a family friend who swears on cinnamon and honey to reduce pain associated with her rheumatoid arthritis - though this is not scientifically proven (unlike cinnamon's effect on diabetes as outlined above) so I'm not sure whether it is effective.

I know that you might not want to use sugar substitutes, but there are several safe ones you could potentially look into, that have very minimal impact on raising blood glucose levels after consumption. Not artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose (which could exacerbate diabetes), but glycosidic sweeteners such as stevia & luo han guo, and also polyols such as erythritol which has the least glycemic and gastrointestinal impact on the human body. These however, as bigpan pointed out, are not too economically viable and different amounts may need to be used.

420908ad 651e 46ac b88a 9cfbd6c602e3  open uri20141010 31964 ysrmyy

Here in Scandinavia the LCHF-diete are hot at the moment, it is low Carb High fat, and more low Carb Then paleo