Wedding cake help

I'm making a two-tier stacked cake for a wedding next weekend. It's going to be tres leches (I've already come to terms with the nightmares about it not being sturdy enough)--I'll be brushing on the soaking milks rather than pouring, so it won't be as wet, and plan to dowel the hell out of it. I figure a six inch cake on top of a nine inch won't be that heavy. My question mainly concerns how long it can feasibly sit out for display. I'm planning on freezing the layers before frosting and assembling, and then there will be an hour drive to the venue. If it goes in the fridge when it gets there, how long before serving do you think they can set it out? Thank you!

asked by christina almost 4 years ago

It really depends, are you using a stabilized whipped cream icing or buttercream? Will the room be cool where the cake is displayed? I have had whipped cream icing sit for an hour in a coolish room and stay together nicely. If you are using buttercream icing and the room is coolish it can sit even longer. I went to an outdoor wedding and cake literally melted and slid onto the ground. I think that the temperature and type of icing are key factors.

christina

Ah, sorry. The icing will be buttercream and the filling whipped ganache. I doubt the room will be very warm. My concern is the milk used to soak the cake. Maybe I'm overthinking!

I think that would be fine, are you using canned milk like sweetened condensed mixed with cream or milk?

christina

Yes, I have been toying with the idea of doing that with the base, although I don't know where to buy it! I live on Long Island and it seems no one has them. Thanks all for the advice.

christina

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your advice. I found some styrofoam rounds so I am going to make a dummy bottom layer. Wish me luck!

Meaghan F

Good luck!! Would love a post-wedding update here to know how things turned out.

spiffypaws

Good luck, and I hope you post an update because I am intrigued.

Sometimes on this site.. I read things I probably will never use but find fascinating and interesting.

This is one of those threads. The concept of a "Dummy" cake tier is great.

christina

I'll definitely post an update with pics. Keeping my fingers crossed! The "dummy" is saran-wrapped and ready to roll.

christina

Hi, all, as promised, here is my cake update: success! I ended up making a three layer 8 in round for display/serving atop a ten in round dummy cake covered in buttercream, and then a three layer 8 in square just for serving. I doweled both of them just to be safe. The top layer even survived a very tense moment driving on some cobblestones in Brooklyn. Thanks all for your advice!

The cake is wonderful, congratulations. Were you in Dumbo or Brooklyn Heights. Those cobblestone streets are bumpy. A testament to your good work!

christina

Thanks, Suzanne! Dumbo--cobblestones may be pretty but they are no friend to driving with cake.

Meaghan F

Awesome, Christina!! Thanks for taking the time to update.