🔕 🔔

Sides for April Bloomfield's Lamb Meatballs

I'm planning to make the lamb meatballs: https://food52.com/blog....

I was thinking of serving roasted delicata squash, a green salad, and, unless I find a good doughy pita, couscous. I'm looking for new recipe inspiration along these lines. Thanks

asked by ATG117 almost 3 years ago

Those meatballs look great! If you're interested in in a hearty alternative to a green salad, why not try safsouf, a delicious salad from the Bekaa Valley?

This recipe is from Claudia Roden's great book, Arabesque:

* 200g fine-ground bulgur
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* juice of 2 and 1/2 lemons
* salt and black pepper
* 7 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
* large bunch of flat-leaf parsley (about 250g) chopped
* large bunch of mint (about 90g), chopped

Soak the bulgur in plenty of cold water for 20 minutes until tender, then drain and squeeze out the excess water. In a bowl, mix the garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oil.

Soak the drained chickpeas in this for 10 minutes, then stir in the bulgur.

Chop the herbs finely and mix them in when you're ready to serve.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Or this: http://smittenkitchen.com...

I just made it today -- delicious!

7be9269b 4bd3 4776 a58a 1796fcfd4f04  2016 03 22 12 44 46

All of this sounds incredibly good! I think having nice bread to sop up all those juices would be best—if you don’t easily find nice pita, how about turkish flatbread (the fluffy kind sprinkled with sesame and nigella seeds; you could even make your own: http://www.williams-sonoma... ).
I would also switch the green salad for Narto’s wonderful suggestion or any other tabbouleh version. Or a chopped salad made of cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, peppers, chili and lots of parsley, dressed with lemon and olive oil.
Roasted squash (tossed with some spices like cumin and coriander) sounds great. I also like a room temp. chickpea salad with baby spinach and a slightly garlicy, creamy tahini-preserved lemon-yoghurt dressing.