Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Making NE fresh chowder for fam/pals while in Chicago. Thoughts on NE sides, veg or apps to compliment?

I thought some rstd. asparagus, something with mushrooms or a brussels or spinach, salad with bacon and some maple cranberry vinaigrette. I love living in NE but I'm not originally from here so want some tips.

asked by csheago about 2 years ago

Usually with a clam chowder (I'm just assuming that you are making the milky NE-style chowder and not the Rhode Island-style), I just serve warm bread and a simple salad. The chowder is so rich and starchy (from the potatoes) that I need the sides to be more acidic to cut the richness. Roasted asparagus sounds great and how about roasted brussel sprouts with bacon?

Oyster crackers!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Chowder is a great first course for something like a lobster roll. But if it's your main course, I agree with HalfPint that a salad is the way to go. Assuming your chowder has bacon or salt pork in it, I wouldn't repeat that with bacon in the salad. But a few dried cranberries in the salad would be great. I wouldn't go a vegetable side, though you could have a composed salad with the asparagus (in the spring) or the Brussels sprouts (in the fall). If you're going all-out old New England, you might want to think about Indian pudding for dessert.