You can usually go by the expiration date on the box/container if your storage cupboard is dry and cool.

Erva

I keep mine in the freezer. Then it can last quite some time.

ChezHenry

Agreed. This is a perfect item to keep in your freezer, along with all types of nuts.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Cornmeal should be stored in glass, away from all light and heat. I keep mine in the fridge in the summer, and in a cupboard far from my oven, in the winter - but my kitchen runs cool in the winter. Depending on when that cornmeal was ground, it could go rancid quickly.