Cornbread substitution

I'm planning to make some fresh corn cornbread today. Recipe calls for 2 cups cornmeal, and I only have about 1 2/3 cups on hand. Can I sub AP flour for the remaining 1/3 cup (or the weight equivalent of 1/3 cup) of cornmeal so I don't have to go to the store?

Kristen W.
Kristen W. July 11, 2015

Oh, looked at the recipe again and realized that since there's already AP flour in the recipe I'm guessing it should be fine -- just a little less corny, maybe. I I'm a novice baker so I always want to check my assumptions when altering a baking recipe!

Susan W July 11, 2015

I'm thinking it will be okay. A little more structure and cake like.

PieceOfLayerCake July 11, 2015

This may sound odd....but the corn cobs have a liquid in them called "milk". If I'm making fresh corn cornbread, I will usually use that liquid in place of some of the dairy. To release it, just run the back of a butter knife over the bare cob over a bowl, then strain it. An extra step, but it may bring back some corniness. The ap flour should be fine for the cornbread, but I wouldn't add the entire ⅓ c. A ¼ c. will give it enough heft without it becoming too dry.

Kristen W.
Kristen W. July 11, 2015

Thanks, POLC! Yes, I've used the corn "milk" in making a lighter version of creamed corn before. Great tip about using it to restore corny-ness - I'll try that!