Cornbread substitution

I'm planning to make some fresh corn cornbread today. Recipe calls for 2 cups cornmeal, and I only have about 1 2/3 cups on hand. Can I sub AP flour for the remaining 1/3 cup (or the weight equivalent of 1/3 cup) of cornmeal so I don't have to go to the store?

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Oh, looked at the recipe again and realized that since there's already AP flour in the recipe I'm guessing it should be fine -- just a little less corny, maybe. I I'm a novice baker so I always want to check my assumptions when altering a baking recipe!

I'm thinking it will be okay. A little more structure and cake like.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

This may sound odd....but the corn cobs have a liquid in them called "milk". If I'm making fresh corn cornbread, I will usually use that liquid in place of some of the dairy. To release it, just run the back of a butter knife over the bare cob over a bowl, then strain it. An extra step, but it may bring back some corniness. The ap flour should be fine for the cornbread, but I wouldn't add the entire ⅓ c. A ¼ c. will give it enough heft without it becoming too dry.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, POLC! Yes, I've used the corn "milk" in making a lighter version of creamed corn before. Great tip about using it to restore corny-ness - I'll try that!