🔕 🔔

Make and re-heat mac and cheese or make now/bake later?

I need to make three batches of Martha's mac and cheese, and I'm wondering if I can prep it all the way through (i.e., topping and all) and just bake it later in the day or if I'm better off baking it now and re-heating later. If I do bake it later, do you think there's any need to refrigerate it in the meantime? Any advice is appreciated. Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.marthastewart...

asked by jocelyng almost 3 years ago

bake now or later - your choice. but yes DO refrigerate between prep & bake or bake & reheat if it's more than one hour. bacteria love room temp - it lets them thrive.

I'd suggest making and freezing your batches ahead, but without the topping. (You could make the topping ahead and refrigerate it you're ready to bake.) Before baking, bring the frozen casseroles to room temp, add the topping, then bake. If you don't defrost first, and start to bake from frozen state, you'll need to add quite a few minutes of cooking time, and the topping will get burnt.

I should clarify my post above: If you freeze the casseroles (without topping), before baking, defrost the frozen casseroles in the fridge, then give them 30-45 minutes after they're out of the fridge to come to room temp. Then add topping and bake.

7124ef9e 8cee 4d7c 8ab8 fa611e8ce383  jocelyn 2006

I'm baking them this afternoon, so no time to freeze.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I've often made mac and cheese earlier in the day, refrigerated and baked before dinner. You can make the topping ahead too - just hold it in the fridge and sprinkle on on top just before baking. It all works fine. Just give it an extra few minutes in the oven, if cold from the fridge.

I put the topping on and stuck it in the fridge. The mac and cheese part had pretty well solidified (and there's a layer of extra cheese in between), so hopefully it won't get soggy. I have one more batch to go, so I'll leave the topping off this last one.

I'm sure it will be fine - the cheese probably is like a layer of waterproofing!