Secret Santa swap 2014?

When & where do we sign up for the event?

asked by Panfusine almost 4 years ago

enbe

If there's interest again, I'll be setting up a signup this week!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Yes, please!

Panfusine

Thank you so much for the fantastic sessions you've executed the past couple of years enbe!! looking forward to the event!

Liza's Kitchen NYC

Yes! Please!!!

Jr0717

That would be great! Will an email notice go out?

Oh, yes, please, I can hardly wait. Thank you so, so much for doing this. ;o)

Hilarybee

I didn't last year, but have in years' previous. I'd be up for it again!

That would be fun. I'm in!

mickle

I am new to this event; what is the Secret Santa Swap?

enbe

Details about last year's swap: https://food52.com/blog... and check out the Tumblr for some of the goodies

Thanks, enbe, it's so generous of you to do this for us.

Enbe, you are the best for doing this! Thank you so much for launching it and organizing it.
You came up with this idea 4 years ago? It is a gift for all who partiipate

cookbookchick

Count me in, too! I participated last year. Such fun and a nice way to connect with other Food52ers.

nashama

Yes, please! I missed it last year.

Can we send homemade goodies or must it be a purchased item? It sounds very fun.

Panfusine

Its a mix of home made & purchased..Its a highlight event of the Food52 community! almost a tradition!

Written materials, e.g., your local "Edible" magazine, e.g., "Edible East Bay," also have been much appreciated - not to mention handmade items such as the amazing hand embroidered tea towels a very, very special Food52er gave me last year. ;o)

cookinginvictoria

I would participate again too. This is such a great food52 tradition. Thank you, Enbe, for being willing to coordinate again. :)

Aliwaks

Is it by mail? If so I'd love to do it!

cookinginvictoria

Yes, it's all by mail or UPS or FedEx, if you prefer. Enbe is in charge of the master list, and assigns all participants a secret santa. She asks everyone to mail their goodies off by a certain date to ensure that recipients receive their packages in time for the holidays. And she makes is possible for those of us that live outside of the U.S. to participate! I've done the swap for the past three years. It's one of my favorite things about the holidays. :)

Would you post a link for the Tumblr? That would be very helpful, thanks!

And THANK YOU for doing this... very kind and generous!

cookinginvictoria

Here is the Tumbler link to last year's swap: http://food52secretswap.tumblr.com/

Found the Secret Santa Tumblr link, which gives ideas on previous "swaps"
http://food52secretswap.tumblr.com/

Oops! cookinginvictoria, sorry, didn't see that you had already posted the link

If you check out the Tumblr on past Secret Swaps, you might be amazed, like me, at the community's generosity. At my last office, "Secret Santa" for the holidays included items like fluorescent orange luggage straps printed with "Not Yours." And candles in packaging a little worse for the wear, already melting inside the plastic wrapping.

It seems that people who love food are generous, nurturing and have a sense of humor. Wow. I think one thing that would be an amazing gift is to cook another community member's recipe, take pictures with your family (or at least their hands forks and spoons if faces can't be shown), and send that as the gift. How cool would that be? Early holiday cheers to everyone.

How did those of you who sent cheese package it? Dry ice?

Franziska

Most people send goodies that will keep a few days without refrigeration. Think cookies, granola, tee, chocolates... those kinds of things :)

Franziska

I loved it so much last year, thanks Enbe for doing it again this year! Soooo excited!

Milehighlori

It was great fun last year. I've been anxiously waiting for this years sign up notice. So glad to see you will be heading it up again Enbe. Big hugs!

enbe

Now I start spamming the link everywhere. Sign up for this year's swap HERE: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_tbTBwkFPD17LLI8y9V154-gI4-OUjHLFDr37Dglgi0/viewform

oops. can't open tha page at work. will have to sign up at home. :)

former Community Editor

Hi enbe, when you see this, could you shoot me an email please ([email protected])? I have a quick question for you, and I believe your spam filter might be eating our emails. Thanks!

Hey everyone. I was thinking about this yesterday and realized that I didn't get an assignment, so I emailed enbe. She sent out the secret Santa assignments last Monday, so if you haven't gotten yours, check your spam folder.

arcane54

My spam folder "autoflushes" so I'm glad I caught enbe's email in time! I've been gathering goodies all week and greatly appreciate her advice on being a secret santa.

Panfusine

I got my name last week and am assembling the package now, need to get my home made component in.

enbe

To anyone who has signed up : matches went out last week so please confirm you have received yours! If not, first check your spam folder and then email me at [email protected] so I can re-email it to you. A few seem to have gotten lost somewhere...

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris